You have an idea, you want to start a business but building an online identity seems like a mountain? Think again! So many affordable and simple options are available to you, you just need to look around a bit. Let us save you some time by introducing you to WordPress. Find out what WordPress.com is, what the differences are between WordPress.com and WordPress.org, and all the advantages of this CMS.
What exactly is WordPress?
First, let’s start by laying the groundwork. WordPress is an online platform that allows its users to create content for free. Often identified as a CMS (content management system), WordPress is thus available for the creation of any website. As of last year, this software is used for 41% of the sites on the Internet, and not for nothing. Ease of installation, creation and updating are just a few of the advantages of WordPress.
WordPress.com or WordPress.org?
It is important to distinguish between WordPress.com and WordPress.org, as both may not be suitable for all your needs.
The very first distinction to make between the two platforms is that wordpress.com, like other platforms such as Wix, Squarespace and Webflow, is hosted online. By opening an account with WordPress.com, you will automatically have access to a website builder, a domain name and a hosting account all in one! The advantages of WordPress.com are that it is easier to learn, website maintenance is included and the subscription includes hosting. However, there are some disadvantages as well; there are fewer customization options, monetization options are more limited, and SEO tools are more limited. So, you might want to look at WordPress.com if you want to have an easy publishing process but your goals are not geared towards monetization.
WordPress.org’s approach is a bit different, though similar. The major change is that in order for your website to be active, you must pay for hosting and a domain name with a registrar such as GoDaddy, NameCheap or others. The basic software is still free, but must be downloaded and installed manually at a hosting company. The advantages of WordPress.org are that it is flexible and much more customizable, it offers several monetization options and it allows you to create membership sites and eCommerce stores. More malleable, the CMS requires a manual update.
So, should I use wordpress.com or wordpress.org?
Moreover, if you turn to web agencies, you will realize that they use WordPress very often. For example, at Arcane Evolution, we use WordPress.org to build the basic sites. Unlike the WordPress.org version alone, we offer hosting, domain name purchase, basic organic SEO, graphic design for the website, and a one-hour training session upon delivery so you can continue to manage it on your own. Thus, you should know that it is more profitable to ally yourself with a Web agency! “But, how do you choose the right one?” you might ask. To access this answer in all its details, we have a blog about it on our website!
What are its advantages?
As mentioned earlier, the benefits of using WordPress are numerous!
- Easy to use: Indeed, this software is renowned for being very easy to use and thus, affordable for beginners.
- Free: WordPress is a totally free software. However, don’t be fooled; if you want an economic return in the future, some fees will be required.
- Modelable: Fully customizable, WordPress is adaptable to the image you have in mind for your website. Keep in mind that this software was originally used for publishing and creating blogs, which is why it is so versatile.
- Possibility of evolution: Obviously, thanks to the famous plugins, it is possible for you to evolve your website. In this sense, it allows you to constantly increase the qualities of your site through the purchase (it has free ones) of plugins.
- No experience required: WordPress, known for its ease of use, is also remarkable for its simplicity of management. Indeed, even the most novice of entrepreneurs can use it with ease, with short training sessions. Because, usually, a specialist is often needed to manage the maintenance of a good website while with WordPress, it is easily avoidable.
- Integrated SEO: First of all, SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is the set of techniques applied to optimize the position of a website in search engines. In this sense, WordPress is known to have a built-in SEO in the platform which allows you to give yourself (a little) help in this regard. Unfortunately, although convenient, this integrated SEO can not manage to get on the first page on a search engine. So, tell you anyway that this is an advantage that few other website creators offer!
- Almost total control: With the exception of a few limitations, WordPress allows its users to have a great deal of control over their website and platform. So you can modify and customize your website at any time!
In summary, WordPress has so many advantages that not using it would be a bit ridiculous, if being self-sufficient is what you want. So don’t be afraid when it comes to creating a website of your own, the solution is never far away! It is not for nothing that WordPress has stood out since its creation, several years ago.
If you have any questions about WordPress or any other topic, don’t hesitate to contact us!